ECONOMY AND SOCIETY:
IDEOLOGY AND CULTURE:
American Modernism is characterized by a sharp break from
American Modernist writers rebel against all previous literature and Western models, they are angry and disillusioned with the savage war and its consequences.
Writers have a godless worldview;
A breakdown of traditional values takes place;
Modernism is a reaction against Realism and Naturalism, which aimed at representing reality as we see it;
Modernism is influenced by:
|Modernist poetry||Modernist Drama||Modernist Fiction|
|– Rejection of diction, as it is considered unsuitable for an era of technological breakthroughs and global violence;|
– Break with Romantic ideas (the notion of sublime);
– Poetry becomes skeptical of language and its notion of coherence;
– Disrupted syntax;
– Free verse;
– Focus on images and symbols;
– Deliberately difficult style;
– Use of imagistic content: narrative continuity and poetic structure are reduced to fragments. Fragments are connected implicitly;
– Use of allusion: isolated fragments, quotes, phrases that represent the fragmentation of contemporary culture.
|– Inspiration from Western literary trends, especially Expressionism;|
– Revolt against realism, both in subject matter and style;
– Exaggeration and distortion of objective features of the outer world;
– The embodiment of violent extremes of mood and feeling;
– Direct expressions of thoughts and emotions;
– Use of symbolism and dream-like elements;
-There is a dehumanizing tendency in society ;
– Primitivism – the return to the state before civilization state;
– Use of the grotesque.
| – Writers are disillusioned with the world and have a godless world view;|
– Breakdown of traditional values;
– Nihilistic, destructive impulse, but also hope at the prospect of change;
– Experiments with time representation and perception: literary devices – temporal juxtapositions, sudden jumps.
– Focus on the inner world of the character: literary devices – stream of consciousness, memory, perception.
– Theme: atemporal, eternal conflicts of the soul, philosophy.
– Range: limited, presented subjectively. Life is chaotic, disordered, fragmentary.
– Narration: subjective, limited point of view or combination of points of view.
Structure: open form.